Stevenage Education Support Centre promotes Extended Work Experience as an important part of the learning journey to work for all students. It will be the first direct experience of the workplace and it has the potential to inform a student’s overall preparation for working life. It has the following aims for all students;
- Develop students’ employability and key social skills
- Provides careers education and guidance on the workplace
- Supports vocational subjects and qualifications, BTEC, City and Guilds and VCERTS
- Supports the delivery of Work Related Learning
- Develops good and effective working relationships with employers, local businesses and enterprise and the community
- Meets Gatsby Benchmarks 1,2,5,6,
All students are offered, one day a week, Extended Work Experience with local businesses and workplaces.
We have a team of 3 dedicated staff members who support students in accessing their placements and helping them be successful. Along with 2 of the team are trained carry out Health and Safety checks and pre placement vetting for the Centre and no extended work experience placement will commence until all procedures have been completed and confirmed by the Centre.
Stevenage Education Support Centre recognises its responsibility to ensure that any Safeguarding and Child Protection issues are identified in work placements provided and students receive guidance on this.
All students will receive regular monitoring visits from a member of Senior Leadership Team or teaching and support staff. Staff carrying out the visits will receive appropriate training and guidance. Student views will be sought through mentoring conversations weekly and Princes Trust lessons in the Centre.
Student choices for work experience are discussed with parents and KS4 staff. Students will be given informed choices and discussions in tutor time and mentoring sessions and that will underpin their knowledge of the workplace.